New regulations in 2021 for the legal catch size of pike in the Landes department
Capture window for the BROCHET species
Pike less than 60 cm in length and those greater than 80 cm in length must be returned to the water immediately after capture. Can only be kept specimens measuring between 60 and 80 cm (as a reminder 2 pike maximum / day / fisher).
This new regulation aims to effectively protect small animals but also large spawners (which is all the novelty), while authorizing reasonable harvesting.
These large pike represent the best spawners and are highly sought after by fishermen.
When and where
From January 1, 2021, on all the waters of the Landes department.
The different studies
A set of scientific publications have shown that:
- catchability is higher in large fish
- northern pike are mostly females (longevity and superior growth)
- the removal of large fish results in a reduction in the size of the broodstock (via genetic selection) which goes against natural selection
- large females are more efficient for reproduction in terms of quantity, fecundity and adaptation (greater number of eggs / greater size of eggs / fractionation of clutches)
Thus this capture window established by prefectural decree tends to:
- Better protection of this “sensitive” and “benchmark” species in terms of the quality of the environment
- The increase in the average size of individuals
- The increase in the number of individuals
- A higher presence of specimen fish
This new measure has also been implemented by other departments on part of their waters or in full (FD Rhône, FD Lot, FD Charente maritime) or will be for 2021 (FD Gironde).